Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full_fathom
    commented on 's reply
    Coming back, I think what is hard today with ppl is that they are so diverse and the luxury of living being so complete, that they really don't have to understand anything, even the philosophical. I mean seriously, never before could ppl exist in their own bubble. We're in a world of bubbles, bouncing... but never penetrating. Physically, by media or simple friendship.
    Last edited by Full_fathom; 10-02-2021, 09:29 PM.

• inkreservoir
    commented on 's reply
    Okay okay a bit of googling later I now get the joke. I still don't really understand the rest of your comment haha but that is funny ^^

• inkreservoir
    commented on 's reply
    I'm very bad at referential humour so I honestly don't understand your comment ? thank you for engaging though!

• Full_fathom
    commented on 's reply
    Hah, cup of tea... 'Russell's cup of tea'. If one is to know their religion, they should know the other. But honestly, as humans we are truly fallible. We speak to ours strengths, react to our weaknesses. So long as we are honest and earnest, the world stays the same as it ever was. Absolutely faithful!

• inkreservoir
    commented on 's reply
    It is, yes!

• Animal
    commented on 's reply
    Is Islam monotheistic?

• inkreservoir
    replied
    I find it exhausting when people who only really know about Christianity make blanket statements about "organized" or "Abrahamic" religions. I get that the entire concept may fundamentally not be someone's cup of tea and that's fine, and I can't speak to Judaism because I don't know much about it, but it's really annoying when people say things that are literally just not applicable to Islam and then fold it in to a blanket statement. I don't get why people feel the need to do this instead of just saying "Christianity" if that's what they mean.

Leave a comment:

• Animal
    replied
    My own principles fall in line with Satanism more than Christianity, though they don't fall squarely into either. The concept of original sin (believing man is inherently flawed and must be redeemed by someone outside themselves to be good), and finding salvation through an outside source... is not my cup of tea. I much prefer individualism and honoring the animal nature, but balancing it with respect for others, which is the core principle of Satanism. That said, my core principles are beyond any dichotomies surrounding God vs. Satan.

To me, it's not necessary to have an authority. I don't need Big Daddy God to tell me how to be and to redeem me, nor do I need Big Daddy Government to collect taxes and tell me how to behave to redeem my ancestors' sins in society. I have a conscience, and it does its job. Although I take others' opinions and needs into account, and research things from many angles and keep an open mind - in the end, I am my own authority. And I don't need to be redeemed for the crime of being born. If there is a Creator (which I tend to feel is most likely, though I won't presume to know for sure) - then that Creator put us here, just the way we are. I would not want to worship any authoritarian deity who created us in such a flawed way that the only way to be good is to worship him. Any God of mine would reward people who do their best to love the people around them and think for themselves, regardless of their abstract beliefs.

The best way to describe my beliefs is a quote from Les Mis: "To love another person is to see the face of God." Or, my own quotes: "So carnal it's spiritual," and "Music is divine symmetry." Art, nature, empathy - these are the paths to the divine. If God created the world, he gave us nature by which to learn about it. While books written by people can be illuminating and inspiring, they are not direct works of God, as nature is. Of course, nature includes human nature, animal nature, and the elements. By studying these - and studying my own nature as well - I learn most about the universe and my connection to it. The sun, the stars, the trees and the eyes of my loved ones are my bible. The mirror keeps me in check.

Leave a comment:

• The Philosophical, Cultural, Political or Religious Rant Thread

Rant about your beliefs on any topic. I just listed a few in the OP, but have at it. What's your outlook, philosophy, religion? You don't have to commit to any of the thoughts you share here. This is just a rant thread to work out your thoughts, and rant about your current ideas.

It's fine to comment on people's rants, and challenge them. But please keep in mind this is a ranting thread, for unleashing thoughts. The thread may contain ideas that are not fully formed.
Working...
X