Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Some Movies Or Shows That Describe You.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are Some Movies Or Shows That Describe You.

If someone wanted an idea of who you are, what movies or shows would you point them towards.

-Melancholia. A pretty honest look at major depression.

- The Wolf Of Wall Street. Hedonism, sex, risk, ambition.

-Whiplash. Music, risk, pursuit of greatness at all costs.

-Pollock. Creative struggles and inner demons.

-Shame. Darkness underneath the shiny veneer.

-The Great Gatsby. Love, risk, obsession, and the drive that fuels The American Dream.

-Walk The Line. Music, love, and battling one's own darkness.

-Wedding Crashers. Fun, charm, craziness and love.

-The Godfather. Power, family, ambition.

-Mad Men. Sex, status, cynicism, and the fascade.

-Game of Thrones. Power, sex, cynicism and survival in a brutal world.

• The Secret of Roan Inish
    • Lady in the Water
    • Coraline
    • Slumdog Millionaire
    • Mushishi
    • Once
    • The Joker
    • anything by Quentin Tarantino (The Hateful Eight is a great one): I actually really HATE gorey movies except with Tarantino. My god he is a master story teller and his cinematography is gorgeous. I think that's probably the biggest element with all of these movies is the mental build up and suspense. I'm not that into action for action. He is one of the rare people in Hollywood actually putting out original, masterful stories.
    Last edited by SpiritoftheGael; 01-11-2020, 04:32 PM.
    The day is done, and the darkness

Falls from the wings of Night,

As a feather is wafted downward

From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village

Gleam through the rain and the mist,

And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me

That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,

That is not akin to pain,

And resembles sorrow only

As the mist resembles the rain.

Comment

The Name of the Rose. "Stat Rosa Pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus".

Comment

• Tsenjin
        Tsenjin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much

There aren't characters or movies like me.
      I'd show them book 2 in my own series. When it's done.

Comment

I know The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was used as the type 9 description in here, but honestly that nails a lot of me pretty well.

Comment

• Melancholia
          Melancholia commented
          Editing a comment
          I LOVE that movie so much <3

I watched this back in 2014, and back then, I heavily related to this film and the character Amy. The film was rife with the themes of deceit, playing with perception and image, resentment, yet being under the slavish yoke of deceit and image manipulation. While I'm not a sociopath like Amy, I could identify with her deceit, calculating nature, her resentment towards her husband (I had an intense distaste and attraction towards men at the time), and feeling the weight of external expectations especially as it relates to being a woman. If I had the sociopathy and insane relentlessness, I could easily be an Amy.

I'm very aware of how perception and image affect people. When I was unhealthier, I had an innate understanding of men's desires and needs (or what I thought at the time) and knew how to weaponize those desires against them. I would construct an image without giving away too much of myself. I operated under smoke and mirrors, yet at the same time, I was resentful and punitive towards lovers for not seeing through the facade. But at the same time, there was a slavish devotion to the deceit. It was a paradoxical relationship - I didn't want to be seen as too human and banal but at the same time I wanted to be seen for who I was. I ultimately didn't respect men who couldn't or refused to see past the facade - they only cared about the lies that made them feel good. I was only a mirror for what they desired. But there was always a challenge for them to get to get on my level. To be smarter. To be better. To be more passionate in general. Of course, intellectually I knew it wasn't solely their fault, I was propagandizing.

Even though I'm healthier and less bitter, I'm still tied to the slavish yoke of deceit. There's a reason I prefer to interact online than irl. Online, you don't see the cracks or the production process. I'm more articulate online than I am irl, mainly due to the fact I can calculate my responses more effectively. I can easily intellectually and artistically show off, and I can post the most flattering photos of myself. Basically, my online self is a slightly more idealized simulacra of myself. And I'm terrified of others seeing the more humanized version of myself.

Comment

I don't think it would give a complete picture of me (mainly when I'm depressed), but Mr. Nobody is the only movie that comes to mind...

Although thinking back on when I was younger I found this a relatable movie:

See it checks out because I'm actually an evil koala-dog-thing from space.
          Last edited by [redacted]; 07-02-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Animal
            Animal commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr Nobody is one of my favorite movies. I wouldn't say it describes "me" exactly, but it is such an amazing, compelling movie. Not to mention I have Jared Leto issues.

• [redacted]
            [redacted] commented
            Editing a comment
            It's an interesting movie, and at the time it did feel resonant (of course there's a lot of movies I like but I wouldn't necessarily say they describe me...), I should rewatch it one of these days

Not sure if musicals count, but this is one that's resonated with me:
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kDXj8rr6FL_iKAqymnoIKHr7UmSB 4GDKI
          Basically, I feel trapped a lot.

Comment

Ghost in the Shell- the Major. I realized a few days ago that she's SLE. The world is Se land, Beta Se.
            John Wick- I don't necessarily identify with any character but like the world. I sympathize with SLI John Wick. The assassin world is Se land, Gamma Se.
            Wendy & Lucy- I went on a similar trip like Wendy, but with my cat Lil Guy.

Comment

Working...
            X