Ne: We're not all happy go lucky - Response to Auburn's description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ne: We're not all happy go lucky - Response to Auburn's description

NOTE: I also posted this in CT forum in response to this description. I thought it might be worth it to also share it here.
    --

Now, it’s not that I can’t at all relate to the descriptions.

The parts about ‘Tinkering‘ and “Daydreaming” seem to be spot on. As a kid I was often entangled in my imagination. Because of how engaged I was in my own world, they would often worry that I someday I would get hit by a car, as I was not paying much attention to the outside world. I also love taking things apart, analyzing them and I can most certainly get carried away with my interests, spreading myself too thin. Although I learned my lesson in that respect.

Regarding ‘a lack of attention’: I’ve never had any issues in concentrating. In fact, as a kid I went to a school were there were two different grades and yet we sat in one classroom. While students from the grade below had to listen to explanations, those from my grade had to work. I never had any problems, while other students and parents (somewhat understandably) complained. It is rare for me to forget any appointments and I tend to easily get my work finished on time. While I am somewhat aloof, still, I am completely capable of focusing my attention, even if the task is slow, arduous or boring, as long as something is or could be important in the long run. Things of little importance go in one ear and out of the other. These less I care about something, the more easily I will forget it. My mind is is somewhat hyperactive and I am prone to get unnecessarily worried about minor issues.

As for “Serendipity & Flash Visions”: while it sounds rather fantastical and eloquent, I supposed I could dumb it down to: Ne is making lots of connections between different concepts, and every so often, something is bound to click. Correct me if I’m wrong of course. I don’t think I can see the ‘unseen causalities of the universe’. I have the idea that my mind automatically launches into many tangents at the same time and it selects the connections it finds to be most pertinent, peculiar or pressing. It does this really fast, so much so that when I pay no attention to my internal processing, I often have the feeling that I’m not really sure what I’m doing, but it seems to work, so I just go with it. So, yeah, I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this part of the description. At it’s root it seems to hold some truth for me, but that’s it.

“Mass Data Absorption”- I did say I had the tendency to spread myself too thin. While I am not generally a mass-absorber of media, I do like to challenge myself. Japanese intrigued me and seemed challenging, so I went ahead and started learning it. Unrealistically I it I wanted to also learn three other languages at the same time. Unsurprisingly that did not work out well, as a I severely underestimated how much time goes into properly understanding a language, parsing foreign speech correctly in your brain and just pure trial and error. If I consume information too quickly I often start feeling hollow and unsatisfied, like it was just meaningless noise, that’s why I like taking my time, if possible.

“Puns and Humor” + Imitations and Parodies: While I sincerely enjoy ‘off-beat, eccentric out-of-context, is this even okay to say’ type of humor, and I enjoy messing around with words, I wouldn’t say it is an essential aspect of my character. I’m not exactly known for being the master of jokes, imitations or parodies. In fact, I am often seen as overly serious, perhaps even somewhat dry at times, although the latter was more something of the past and more a direct result of my insecurities. I’m quite negative/pessimist by nature. While those with Ne are often portrayed as wanting to avoid the negative, most of what my Ne naturally generates is negative. I naturally see what can go wrong and what my mistakes could be.

Distraction & Escapism: I genuinely think I identify too much with the negative, and linger on that for too long. If I am procrastinating, it is usually because I focus on it so much that doing the necessary work starts turning into a sisyphean errand. Honestly being more jovial would be beneficial for me and I am actually trying to integrate that into my life, along with learning how to be more grateful and it’s actually helping.
    In taking all the above into account, I think it is obvious that Mer doesn’t seem like an adequate mythology for me personally.

TL;DR I relate to ‘tinkering’, ‘daydreaming’ and a bit to Serendipity and Flash visions in the Ne description, but not to the others. I am by nature also rather pessimistic and focused on what could go wrong.
    • So what do other Ne users think. How do you relate to the description and what I’ve written?
    Last edited by Vive; 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM. Reason: Phrasing

Oh oh Vive

I've always had the feeling that some of this description was better for NeTi than for NeFi. NeFi are often serious, intense, 'deep diving'.... for instance Russel Brand. What do you think, Teatime , devo , MountainFlower ?

Comment

I didn't get from the description that Ne is all "happy go lucky." I just read it as a list of several ways Ne can manifest, puns and humor being among them. From my own observations, I tend to notice most goofy humor coming from Si leads with ego in Ne.

Comment

• Vive
        Vive commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair enough, it's just that I have the idea that the description should be describing the essence of Ne along with possible manifestations. My thing is that I don't relate to the essence or archetype being communicated in that description, at all and the manifestations are hit or miss, but mostly miss and I thougt there were so many 'misses', because the description seems to describe those who are generally more postively oriented, or perhaps also individuals that are more seelie, as I am also unseelie.

I’d say since cognition describes more of a thought process than a survival instinct or ego manifestation (I reserve that for the wonder of enneagram), I would agree that puns and humor flow more easily with Ne types. As part of the awareness of possibilities, so too comes the awareness of a boundless database of seemingly disparate associations. an ever flowing source of puns, wordplay and vast connections

Comment

• Vive
        Vive commented
        Editing a comment
        I could agree with what you are saying, but when I read:

"The Ne user will also have an integral sense of humor and bring that with them into many of their interactions(...)"

"(...)The Ne user will have a natural drive to spark up the environment; to provide levity and life to situations as well as to their own life. Life is too dreary if you can’t have a little fun(..)"

"The Ne user will also have a playful tendency to parody multiple characters and scenarios in real-time(...)"

It didn't seem to me to be just describing some kind of potential or cognition, it's more talking about what behavior is to be expected of those with Ne and it just doesn't ring true for me. I get that writing needs some kind of appeal, but it's just that I feel the examples given are lacking.

• devo
        devo commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m in agreement with you.. it is attempting to describe a type of behavior, which brings me back to my main point in that I feel these descriptions are exceeding their bounds. for example, I wouldn’t describe myself so much as “happy go lucky.” I might possibly come off that way in certain interactions with those I barely know, seeking out ways to “break the ice” but I find that to be more related to survival mechanics, to which the output is cognition (Ne in my case), but the underlying reason for it is not and can not be accurately summed up simply in a cognitive function description. for this reason I bring up enneagram again being the “why,” while cognition is the “how.”

• Vive
        Vive commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoops, I had not understood you agreed with me, at least not about the shortcomings of description. Yeah, I agree, I also feel description is going out of its bounds. I'd prefer if it was more limited to cognition and that they afterwards would describe the possible ways it could manifest, so one could recognize what that cognition can be like in action. This way it can still be written in an appealing manner, but it stays closer to a description of cognition.

Originally posted by devo View Post
      ... puns and humor flow more easily with Ne types. As part of the awareness of possibilities, so too comes the awareness of a boundless database of seemingly disparate associations. an ever flowing source of puns, wordplay and vast connections
      have a tendency to flow more easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8GAT9cyDkU

Comment

• Roshan
        Roshan commented
        Editing a comment
        Caught like a moth between the window and the screen between my commitment to the grail quest for streamlining discourse and the burning (well anyway tingling) desire to riff off of canard (duck en français), duck duck go, and google glass. (EDIT: and now hidden v. open searches, also dusting window and picture frames and likewise cups, and perhaps spray can insecticides) I have decided to split the difference with this post.
        Last edited by Roshan; 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM.

• Roshan
        Roshan commented
        Editing a comment
        Vive la split différence. He used Pledge.
        Last edited by Roshan; 02-14-2020, 11:16 AM.

• Roshan
        Roshan commented
        Editing a comment
        split screen différence. Sorry. I. Just. Couldn't. Resist.
    Working...
    X