Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to your Enneagram Type: What did you Learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [redacted]
    commented on 's reply
    as for how enneagram has taught me something new about myself, that's one reason why I have yet to settle on a type, because so far no type seems to tell me anything I don't already know, but there's a missing piece or two which once I figure them out certain things will finally make sense... or at least I like to think it will work that way :P

• [redacted]
    commented on 's reply
    @La Dame Aux Roses
    Because I typically find meaning in life lived for myself, so I didn't understand how did someone find fulfillment from sacrificing themselves for others.

• Qassim
    replied
    For about 15 years I had no damn clue what I was. Enneagram was that interesting thing that welled up in my consciousness every few months after my English teacher taught us about it in high school. I didn’t know what I was, though. The types that sounded most like my persona weren’t really “me” deep down, and the type I actually am…to this day I cannot relate to most descriptions of my type. EIDB did nothing to help when I went looking for more information (this being the late 1990s through 2013, the year I found my true type).

It wasn’t until I went to Personality Café that things began to really shift. Or rather, things began to shift after I spent time egregiously mistyping there. I cringe at the ways I typed there! And more than that, I cringe for the people who actually believed me, and in fact encouraged me to type that way.

I literally bought every enneagram book known to man specifically so I could engage in verbal combat with people over my type. No. I didn’t just go out and buy the books. Living off 300 dollars per month, I bought an overnight bus ticket to the nearest developed country where they had an English language book store, stayed there for a week, and bought every enneagram book in the stores. I actually did this several times. Come on folks, that is commitment.

More than giving me ammo, though, it put me on this spiritual journey. I was able to figure out my true type from the readings. My understanding of myself and my life was revolutionized. My understanding of the enneagram took on deeper, more nuanced meanings. My mind was opened in ways it hadn’t before; in working on healing my dominant instinct, I ended up embarking on a bizarre chain of events that I’m dealing with the consequences of now. Mainly, though, I decided I would devote my life to working on myself and refining my understanding of life.

I think most people who know me would argue that I’m still mistyped, but I firmly maintain that understanding the enneagram from within my type has really altered my understanding. I no longer see it the way most of us saw it on PerC—bits and pieces of theory to be argued, categories to be checked off, behaviors or attitudes that absolutely rule certain types out.

From the nastiness, I endured, I’ve learned to become more patient with people’s processes and not to rule anything out. (I’ve also become more impatient with people who don’t really understand the enneagram but pretend to lol). Mistyping also helped me to understand why I am NOT specific types, why I was unable to make myself think I was certain types, why some never vibed with me at ALL, etc. In typing others, I look for other things that what most people do I think…psychological underpinnings, wings, underlying principles, pattern recognition, energy, etc. Forget type me threads as a serious tool.

The only downside, I would say, is that I’m less able to explain why I think what I do about typological matters. Like, I can just tell? How do you know when a musical piece is right? How do you know the right time to speak in a conversation? What autumn smells like? I’m always right, but hell if I can get other people to listen to me.

I still have moments where I think I cannot possibly be my core type. I realize what a failure I am by my own egoic standards. No one sees it in my in my persona. In some ways it gives me a vague sense of vindication—at least I’m not being my horrible entranced self. In other ways, it just hurts. I’ll never been seen for what I feel are my most important qualities. I feel I make a piss-poor version of my type; the exact opposite of what I should be in many ways. It doesn’t matter. We don’t type by persona. We type by psychological underpinnings. Understanding things in this way is the only reason I’ve been able to get any inner work done at all.

I don’t see things the way I used to, and this actually informs a lot of my approach. I don’t fucking care what you say about yourself, what your arguments are about type, how hard you can bleat your case. I care what core essence I perceive. I care what inner structure I see, what your unconscious patterns are telling me about your wings (I often see people’s wings more than I see their core), what your attitudes and rants are about, what your psychology reveals about your triads, what your deepest spiritual principles show me about your soul, etc. I literally do not care about the superficial shit I see 99% of the time on forums. I can’t. I mean I truly cannot engage with enneagram that way and still have it hold any value to me. I would have to quit enneagram if I did because it wouldn’t make any sense in my own life, and again, inner work is the only thing that matters to me now.

I expect to continue down this path, ever refining myself and my understanding of things as our sick world continues down its shambolic path.

Leave a comment:

• Full_fathom
    commented on 's reply
    self-sacrificing is a normal human component among a number of people, It's perfectly fine/ok, so long as you are aware of your needs.

• La Dame Aux Roses
    commented on 's reply
    because you typically find meaning in a life lived for yourself, or something beyond yourself, or...? (curious about the value 'others' holds here)

• [redacted]
    replied
    I always had a hard time understanding how someone can find meaning in life lived for others, and Enneagram kinda helped me understand it.

Leave a comment:

• La Dame Aux Roses
    replied
    Hm, so I've typed various ways over the years and always really come back to 2 and I don't know if I've learned anything about myself in this process but I think about the various types, it's easier to understand things by identifying with them (heart type learning style? )

I did at the very very beginning immediately type as 1 because it described my ideal way of being and fairly quickly came around to the shocking realization that 2 was in fact my type (I tried to be perfect in order to be lovable). Honestly, though, I wish I had gone on mistyping at 1, because - as I am not a hard-ass 1 but actually an indulgent 2 - it's easy to use type as an excuse, if my belief about myself was that I just wanted to be perfect and live up to a great celestial ideal I probably would have lived more like someone who this was true of, realizing that 'being perfect' was a tool and not the core of who I was made it easier to discount it as a tool and I think as a result I let my standards slip...and it led to a lot of fruitless navel-gazing, it's not like realizing I was a 2 really helped me make a lot of progress, although maybe realizing I had a lot of pride I wasn't aware of helped me move past it, not sure how big an issue that even was though.

I often, just in my head, think 'you know what, I think I'm actually an 8!' which is ridiculous if you know me at all but it's certainly always at times of stress and 8 suddenly seems like this amazing perfect fit for my whole personality, I do think that speaks to disintegration theory...))

Leave a comment:

• Animal
    started a topic Changes to your Enneagram Type: What did you Learn?

Changes to your Enneagram Type: What did you Learn?

In enneagram circles, there is often a process of refining and revisiting one's type. Have you gone through this process and made a new discovery about your typing? If so, what did you learn - about yourself, about enneagram, about others? I'd love to discuss typing changes and how they affected you personally, or how they influenced your overall understanding of the system. Feel free to discuss this process from any angle, be it personal or intellectual. And feel free to focus on the most profound or surprising discoveries, rather than feeling obligated to discuss all typing changes.
    Last edited by Animal; 05-25-2021, 08:23 AM.
Working...
X