Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your type's holy idea: what are your experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your type's holy idea: what are your experiences?

The holy ideas seem by definition to be concepts that are very far away from our own daily experience/lives. Even the term itself 'holy idea' doesn't sound like it's referring to something you can just encounter every day in life. These ideas point to our potential, to the best we can be, how we are when we align our views with reality as much as possible. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can check out the holy ideas for each Enneagram type: here.

Even though these 'holy ideas' might seem far away from daily life or even the experiences and feeling you have in life in general, I wonder: have experienced really aligning with your type's 'holy idea' in your life? If so, what was it like and did it last? (please feel free to think of answers to questions I didn't ask here). You don't have to know for sure if it had to do with your 'holy idea', but if you had a suspicion it did, please share your experiences, even if it was just a glimmer of something.

------------

I personally have recently experienced more of what I think was related to 'Holy Faith', type six's holy idea. By nature I tend to often feel like I am somehow lesser than others. I carry a proper sense of pride amnesia for many things I achieve. Along with that I tend to be very harsh and quickly blame myself and feel rather terrible when I perceive to have failed. I would tend to think that there is some capacity in others that I just don't have (a specific variation of a corruption of the holy idea for six).

Recently, though, I am more able to experience a sense of inner strength. I do my best to pick out the moments where I do feel good, proud and like I am as capable as others. I feel like that paying conscious attention to it is essential. Before I would feel good proud, relaxed, but it would fade away quickly as I failed at something and blamed myself again. I have come to realize that despite the change in feeling, I did not fundamentally change between were I felt truly capable and times where I really didn't. I just always had the idea that the experience of this faith in myself was somehow how misguided afterwards, but it isn't. And the more I consciously choose to focus on how far I've come, and really get a sense of what that faith in myself feels like, I have started to feel like I can hold on to it, even if it's just a little bit, when I perceive to fail and lose that feeling of security.

"Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
    Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

It has been a struggle, embracing my type's Holy idea. I keep shooting for it, but fall short every time. I have made 2020 a depth year. I did this before the pandemic forced it on me. One might think forced restrictions will have made this easier for me. They haven't. I was feeling pretty positive about it when it was a choice. When I can't have something, I only want it more. I've been having occasional panics when I realize I can't do ~all the things,~ even though at the start of the year, I felt burnt out from chasing everything that sparkled. Now, my mind has been going more wild than ever with all the bucket list items I mean to pursue as soon as I have freedom again. I know it won't make me happy. I know this isn't what I want, yet I keep falling into the same traps. Aaaahhh!

In an effort to temper myself, I have written out the following poem and taped it to my bathroom mirror:

Lost

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you

Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,

And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,

Must ask permission to know it and be known.

The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,

I have made this place around you.

If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.

No two trees are the same to Raven.

No two branches are the same to Wren.

If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,

You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows

Where you are. You must let it find you.

-- David Wagoner
    THIS is what I want. This is what I need. Why is there such a conflict between knowing and doing?

Comment

Working...
    X