Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know your blue is the same as my blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know your blue is the same as my blue?

*internalscreaming

Comment

• Eclipsed
      Eclipsed commented
      Editing a comment
      ^ "My blue"

It probably isn't lol. At the very least my blue could easily appear as a different shade of blue from yours.
    The day is done, and the darkness

Falls from the wings of Night,

As a feather is wafted downward

From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village

Gleam through the rain and the mist,

And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me

That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,

That is not akin to pain,

And resembles sorrow only

As the mist resembles the rain.

Comment

The best thing you can do is show your blue. Then despite what shade I actually see that differs from yours, we can at least agree nominally about what we're looking at.

Comment

• Quindary
        Quindary commented
        Editing a comment
        How would it not suffice? A thing that we can both see must be the thing itself, regardless of how each of us sees it.

• Eclipsed
        Eclipsed commented
        Editing a comment
        Well id like to know what the thing is but we determine it. Id actually like to see all facets of the collective conscious.

• Quindary
        Quindary commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just...the thing. Like color is a facet of wavelengths hitting the eye... the wavelengths don't change, regardless of how your eyes interpret it. Interpretation allows the wavelengths to have an apparent quality to you and me, and maybe the apparent quality differs, but we can agree that there is a thing we have both seen. If something existed to let the blind sense it, they could also agree that there is a thing they are sensing, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	993458eab6c894873273e3cb4692842d.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	5989

My blue.

Comment

#NePosting

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	6000 My blue

Comment

My blue is Kind Of Blue.

Comment

can i take this question a step further?
              can we describe colors and be distinct (mind you i am on 4 hours of sleep XD)

Comment

• Quindary
                Quindary commented
                Editing a comment
                We can certainly use hex codes for that.

I have a dichro color blind prob, I don't see a lot of reds and only a window of greens My blue is only what i see or know.

But I know my blue and it's my favorite color, I dare say it's a great color!

Comment

You don't. We all go through life alone, in a way.

Comment

There are many colors that I call blue. Which of those colors is the most blue? What if it depends on the day?

Comment

My answer: no.

Let me add another layer of convolution to this issue. Even if we could all see the exact shame shade of blue it wouldn't necessarily be so that our qualitative experience of it is similar. Different Qualia are attached.

So even if your blue is the same as mine, it's might still be miles away from what your experience of blue is.

Maybe should all have lived in a tribe where they can only distinguish a couple colors then there is no blue, because what is blue? There's no concept for blue. The rare few people who can only see in monochrome also wouldn't know, perhaps those who are colorblind see more things as blue than actually are commonly seen as blue.

Despite these complexities, if we communicate and we don't have the visual defects above and have learned what blue is, then we can communicate and at least be able to give people a rough approximation of what we really mean. Even if we were perfectly capable of seeing and feeling the exact qualia that somebody else has when they explain it correctly, we'd still probably not exactly experience, because there's inherent noise and error when we communicate, but what matters in the end that despite us not being able to communicate, if we play things right we can actually do a pretty darn good job
                  "Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
                  Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

Comment

• Full_fathom
                    Full_fathom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Vive, that's a great allegory for many things in life.

• Quindary
                    Quindary commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd say that the only way we "know" that someone's blue is the same blue as our own is if we use an external metric, such as a hex code. Then we can know that even if the qualia are different, the blue is "objectively" the same, so we can then state it's the agreed-upon hue for, say, "periwinkle blue"...or "aquamarine"...or whatever other name you want to give it.
                Working...
                X