Your Mind Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Mind Please

How do you define and experience the concept of mind? Or to put it another way, when you hear the word “mind” what does it mean to you?

(Spoiler Alert: To me this belongs in “Soul” more properly than philosophy and psych, but that’s just my bias ✝️)

“Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.” Johannes Brahms

I think the mind-body-soul idea wherever that came from (my guess is recent new age spiritualism) is a non-wholesome fabrication and also a division that isn’t well thought out. Neither is the idea of the unity of all things “in God”. The definition of God is that God is above and beyond. Not united or “in us”.

Trinitarian foundations to life does seem to hold true.

I would say we are cognate(brain), mortal(body/material/heart and blood) and eternal (mind/spirit) only in earth.

“Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.” Johannes Brahms

Comment

Mind is often used interchangeably with referring to our cognition or our brain faculties. But, is “mind” only our brain? I think not.

Spiritualists of many orders have aligned “mind” with a sort of cosmic consciousness. What is this? Being a 9 fixer I would hazard to guess this means that mind is simply a cosmological atunement. Which, hey. I have that. Like Jung perhaps a 359 Trifix also. But, it’s not all it’s cracked to be.

Also, If that’s the case, then what happens when we’re dead? How does one tune in when one is brain dead?

Comment

I'm bookmarking this in my mind for later. Will come back to this.

Comment

Study Reveals That After You Die, You're Conscious Long Enough To Actually Know You're Dead

Food for thought regarding the mind.

Comment

I have had two “near-death” experiences. Once when I was unconscious for an unknown period of time (I was alone in a car that I flipped, rollled and crashed at high speed) and the second time was last year when I was knocked unconscious for a significant period, by a shovel to my skull. Even though my brain stopped. My mind was still there for a period. It is hard to describe. Some people liken it to out of body experiences, but it’s not the same.

Comment

It can be argued that I was not technically dead since I was only unconscious, and this doesn’t prove anything about mind after death. But, I have to disagree.

I was not in any kind of state like dream state. My “mind” (every single thing I knew and who I was from my whole life) was ‘there’ but my ? was not co-operating. It had shut down. Even so there was time in between that I knew. In my mind when I was ?? lights out, non-verbally I had - “So, this is how I die ?” but not in language and also being mind outside.

Comment

• Animal
                Animal commented
                Editing a comment
                That's terrifying

• ledyanoy
                ledyanoy commented
                Editing a comment
                The thing is it wasn’t terrifying when it was happening - a short time period that feel eternal almost. Time gets not really stretched, but more like evaporates. There is no connection to emotion. It’s purely “mind” or “conscious spirit” I don’t have the acumen to explain this philosophically, but a couple of books I have read have done so. When I find the quotes, I will share. But, yeah the terror of this kicks in later when the ramifications enter the psyche.

• Quindary
                Quindary commented
                Editing a comment
                Is there any sensation of pain remaining in this state?

I was talking about this not too long ago in a different place, and came up with the following:

Consciousness is the living state that allows perception. Mind and soul are two basic supporting components of that entity - mind is the component that operates, deliberates and moves, and soul is the component related to being, that "simply" exists and holds your past, identity etc.

Within this framework, then --

Mind moves because thought requires motion. Consciousness can mediate and create the stillness needed for the mind to operate outside of sight, but thought itself cannot be stillness. Mind moves around what exists to understand it, define it, use it in constructs, form new conclusions from it, come up with new derivatives and pass them back to soul and consciousness...but mind itself is defined by operation.

As a side note, this is why I would not put this topic in Soul. It does not belong there.
              Last edited by Quindary; 01-04-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X