Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the couple in the RWS 2 of Cups card The Fool and the High Priestess ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the couple in the RWS 2 of Cups card The Fool and the High Priestess ?

I just realized something that I didn't manage to find mentioned anywhere. So, here are the RWS 2 of Cups, the Fool and the High Priestess :

Click image for larger version  Name:	cups02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	4818
    Click image for larger version  Name:	maj00.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	4819
    Click image for larger version  Name:	maj02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	4820

They don't look like exactly the same people, the difference between the Fool and the man in 2 of Cups is pretty big... but there are some similarities between them.

I wonder if this was on purpose and it is them or rather regular people in the real world that still embody part of the archetypes (hence similar clothing and looks but not the exact same features and physiognomy)...or if the creators were having the same symbols in mind and they just came up twice without them even realizing. This would explain why they look like different people too.

They are also united by the caduceus above their heads...and the Magician is sometimes connected to Hermes, including by Waite...and it is between the Fool and the High Priestess. Maybe this is me using my inferior Ni in "creative" ways but I'm really curious if you can see the similarities too. Especially in their clothes but also somewhat in their faces. Also the man in the 2 of Cups card is wearing a red crown, which looks similar to the feather on the Fool's head and the woman is wearing a green crown made of leaves, not very far from the ones on the veil behind the High Priestess.

Originally posted by Bera View Post
    I wonder if this was on purpose and it is them or rather regular people in the real world that still embody part of the archetypes (hence similar clothing and looks but not the exact same features and physiognomy)...or if the creators were having the same symbols in mind and they just came up twice without them even realizing. This would explain why they look like different people too.

They are also united by the caduceus above their heads...and the Magician is sometimes connected to Hermes, including by Waite...and it is between the Fool and the High Priestess. Maybe this is me using my inferior Ni in "creative" ways but I'm really curious if you can see the similarities too. Especially in their clothes but also somewhat in their faces. Also the man in the 2 of Cups card is wearing a red crown, which looks similar to the feather on the Fool's head and the woman is wearing a green crown made of leaves, not very far from the ones on the veil behind the High Priestess.
    The similarity is pretty striking. Have you seen something like this in any other deck? Also have there been similarities in outfits on any of the other people drawn in that particular deck? Considering how similar the outfits are, it's hard to imagine the artists would overlook this...

Comment

Hmmm, I need to check other decks too.

I checked the RWS deck card by card and I can't find any people who are very similar to the Fool and to the High Priestess and/or to the couple in the 2 of Cups card.

The Queen of Cups has a somewhat similar outfit to the High Priestess and to the woman in 2 of Cups, at least in terms of colors, but she is blonde and has a very different overall look.

I think the Page of Wands is also somewhat similar to the Fool, taking into account some of the colors used in his clothing and general vibe/energy.

Comment

Working...
      X