Mr. Nobody (The movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Nobody (The movie)

I'm curious how you reacted to this movie. To me, it's an interesting study on Ne and also arouses self-questioning. I absolutely loved the movie - even though it messed with my head and gave me crazy dreams and nightmares

I'd love to explore everyone's reactions. Feel free to share your thoughts on the movie even if you aren't into cognition and type.

If you haven't seen it and you're interested, you can rent it on youtube for something like $3.

There's much, much more I could say about this movie, but I want to share a post I wrote back in October. My initial reaction. Will watch again and write more soon.
    ---

Last night I watched "Mr. Nobody." There were all these Ni and Ne concepts about how any path you take would lead to the next decision and the next and the next.... so the specific way you live your life is not fully in your control but depends on a series of happenstances that result from seemingly unrelated choices.

However through all of the possible lives that Mr. Nobody lived, there was only one woman he really loved. He married other women in other lives but she was the only one with whom love was pure, beautiful and full.

I went to Quora out of curiosity for how others interpreted the intuitive stuff, and I was surprised that not a single person touched on this romance being THE ONLY real one. They all spoke about consequences and choices and how things are out of control, and no choice was right or wrong. For me, the first thing that went through my mind was this:

He knew exactly who he loved as a kid and it remained consistent in all of his possible trajectories. This is because of his innate personality, and how it mixes with someone else's. Circumstance cannot change this. He might marry others depending on circumstance and consequence of choices, but what will not change is the innate passion that exists between certain pairs. Whether or not you believe in soulmates , it's obvious that you can't (equally) love anyone whose path you happen to land on. The movie spells this out.

Yet despite the very beautiful love between these two characters, and despite that her name was his last word when he died - people were only talking about "circumstance and happenstance" - which indeed was a big topic and important in the movie - but to me not nearly as important as finding the right person (or type of person, if you don't believe in soulmates). I wonder what that says about me, and about the way this culture looks at love.

In summary, I am strongly against the philosophy "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." To me that's bullshit and coming from a lover it would be downright insulting. I made sure to make myself better in many ways and to pay careful attention so I would end up spending my life with the right person, rather than stumbling into convenience or passion that would soon die out. In my view: "If you can't be with the one you love, work on yourself so you'll attract that type of love in the future."

Comment

• Vive
      Vive commented
      Editing a comment
      The movie seems to be very intriguing from a glance and from what you've written here. It's definitely something I will watch and when I do watch it I will come back to the thread and share my thoughts.

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, looking forward to it!

I watched this movie a while ago, not long before I met my ex. Back when I watched it I felt like I could relate to the main character, and I guess it's ironic that I could never tell if it was right or not. My ex grew resentful that I couldn't act more committed, I never really had any other experience with this, and it didn't feel entirely fair that I had to make this decision when I had no other experience to compare it to, and I don't like to think in terms of commitment as that makes it feel to restrictive.

In regards to the movie, I found it depressing. Perhaps I was projecting my own state of mind at the time... Not too dissimilar from how I've been feeling for the past few months, like being simultaneously lost and trapped.

It's been years since I saw it, so perhaps I should watch it again sometime.

Comment

Working...
    X