Emotion is Sensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotion is Sensing

Emotion, "feeling," is an inherent part of the Sensing function. It is not "Feeling," as in, the Feeling function, because in reality, the Feeling function governs the structure of relations, these being interpersonal (Fe) or intrapersonal (Fi).

Think about it: when you feel excited, do you need to make 'sense' of this, or is that that you just - are - excited? It is an emotional state. A state of being. Something you can perceive and / or express, all without the need for judgment (such as Fe or Fi).

I feel hungry: Si.
    I search for food because I'm hungry: Se.

I feel excited: Si.
    I jump and talk fast because I am excited: Se.

I am angry: Si.
    I attack this person because I am angry: Se.

I am happy: Si.
    I hug people and smile because I am happy: Se.

Now, to contrast emotions with F:

I am in love: Si.
    I am in love with this person for these reasons: Fi.

I feel spiteful: Si
    I feel spiteful with this person for this reason: Fi.

I excitedly talk fast: Se.
    I express excitement in order to convince this person: Fe.

I am being dramatic because I feel hurt: Se because of Si.
    I am being dramatic because this person makes me feel bad: Se because of Fi.
    I am being dramatic to convince this person: Se because of Fe.

Because of this, you will find that the more sensual, melancholic people will often be the types that lead with Si. ISFJ and ISTJ.
    This applies less so to INFP and INTP, but they may think this of themselves because of their lower-order Si. This is an egoic overestimation of the value of Si.

INFP and ISFP will be very focused on the dependencies of a relationship, the criteria of relationships and one's attitude towards them. This means that Fi types will focus on structuring their attunements to people and other objects. "What does my relationship to X mean?" "The dynamic between so-and-so means that... because... " Indeed, issues of good and bad are found here. "Good and bad" are not feelings, these are not emotions. They are judgments, they are categories, they are structure. But this stands in stark contrast to the rich sensory experience of feelings and emotions that Si types possess. Fi is still removed from feelings, while Si is right in the middle of them.

This is also the reason why THE most excitable types are the types that lead with Se. ESTP and ESFP.
    Because of a general misconception around Fe, namely that Fe types have a monopoly on emotional expression, many Se lead people will be typed at Fe. Fe, in truth, is a function of control. It's aim is to control the relational world via controlled emotional expressions. Fe is the brother of Te, and the key word here is CONTROL. But when it comes to free expression of emotions, being dramatic because you feel dramatic, then we are speaking of the (literal) Extroversion of Sensation, or Se.

The experience of emotions and feelings is by definition without structure. Us naming what they are is merely an act of placing an arbitrary structure on top of the experience. But emotion just "is," and needs no further structure to be true. As such, this is governed by the Perception function of Sensation (I feel, I sense, I express, I act).
    Sleep on the Ceiling - Erosian Exile

I wrote this ^ based on another post I had written:

emotion behind Se and the emotional control of Fe
    Sleep on the Ceiling - Erosian Exile

Comment

• SnatchYourWeave
      SnatchYourWeave commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're right because in reality, SLE does actually come across more emotional because of Se impulse. I wish I could say it's vastly dependent upon the situation but it's not. Excitement, whether it's from happiness or anger comes out when the situation unfolds and the SLE cannot control it and has to act upon it. SLE didn't invent the poker face, but it's something all SLEs secretly wish they could do in a convincing way. I'm pretty sure SLE's Fe comes out in a sharp, caustic sense of humor, angry at anything that seems to be off. If I tell you that you piss me off and if you don't stop pissing me off then I'll shove your head in the toilet, most people would say I'm being irrational and emotional, laugh it off that I'm being dramatic and overexaggerating. Yet, I made no point to hide anything and if I said I'll do something, I'll do it. For those who don't understand Se, they get surprised that I actually made good on my word because they can't believe that I'd actually do something as dramatic as what I've said. It's the Fe mobilizing that's responsible because it's total shit. SLE is bad with Fe, but it explodes through Se and it ends up causing far more damage because it's out of control. 1. The SLE don't want to admit that the drama has spun beyond their control 2. When emotional shit hits the fan, the SLE wants to take the Se route of flight because they know that they're not good with Fe and cannot do anything else to save their hides. Very astute analysis. I think it's very trait that puts SLE and LSI at odds with each other, mainly LSI is so good with poker face and they know SLE will explode and won't keep things under wraps.

EIE control Fe but their Se is total shit so they're the opposite of SLE- make a bunch of idle threats. They won't follow through on anything they say, whether it was dramatic or not because their Se is busted.
      Last edited by SnatchYourWeave; 08-29-2020, 02:10 PM.
Working...
X