Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Critique of Typological Methods: Typing By Relating

The Advantages of Typing By Relation

Ideally, a type description will actually depict a type's inner experience accurately, though since many type descriptions are likely written from the perspective of someone not that type, they will often be based on an outside interpretation of said type. So that's another issue.

Comment

There's one more thing I could add to this. The other day I was wishing there was a way I could do this "blind"--meaning read descriptions with only placeholder labels, not knowing which description belonged to which type, since I already have ideas in my head about the types, and I can't help it that they bias my ability to relate to them, even if only unconsciously.

Comment

I can only reiterate what [redacted] has already said. Many of the more accessible type descriptions are behaviorally oriented, meaning that if you're not aware of all your behaviours, it is easy to mistype. Unfortunately, our most telling behaviours are the ones we do unconsciously and reflexively--so if you don't get feedback, you may never see it.

This much was true in my case--I was most like my type at home, and my parents made a rule of never pointing out my negative behaviors because they didn't want to damage my self-esteem. So I wound up totally oblivious to what I was really doing.

I don't think I was unusually self-unaware or prone to the Forer effect--just that descriptions emphasizing behavior and patterns simply weren't going to cut it. I needed to read about the inner experience. I could argue with descriptions of my so-called behaviors all day, but when we get into describing the actual psychological underpinnings of the type, I find that I have nothing to dispute. I know what it's like inside my head. Yet most descriptions don't center around this perspective.

There's a lot more to both this topic and my personal typing difficulties than that, obviously, but nonetheless this is a case study in why we say "motivations not behaviors".

Comment

Working...
        X