All of the Enneagram types deal with "Emotions", not just heart types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the Enneagram types deal with "Emotions", not just heart types

all three of the Enneagram centers deal with "feelings". sure, gut types are the most characteristically "unemotional", but...ever watched a gut type when they witnessed or experienced disrespect? chances are, they'll bristle noticeably, and far more quickly than a heart or head type, because respect is not a central theme for those types.

as a gut type, I can be kinda "moody" in some senses, but it isn't typically moods like joy, sorrow, fear, etc. examples of how I experience different moods might be better described as
    • tranquil
    • severe/authoritative
    • fiery
    • hollow/despondent/withdrawn
    • pride
    • high energy fascination
    • low energy fascination
    • provocative
    • protective teddy bear

of these, the only one that touches issues of the heart at all is the last one. notice also that there is a significant amount of nuance in how anger (the core gut triad emotion) is experienced

Are there actually anyone who says heart types are the only ones dealing with emotions

Comment

Sometimes I feel like ppl are receiving that msg. But I don't necessarily think that ppl are implying that the fear/head/thinking types only 'think', or that the hearts only emote, or guts only do gut instincts, etc. Rather, what appears as such, for lack of better, are points being made that a particular type is using a particular distorted-vehicle as a function of a type problem. The assumptive 'it goes without saying....".

Those discussing a specific idea or topic about a certain type could be more accurate or forthcoming though by saying 'the way the head types feel' or the how 'the heart types are thinking'. I'm guilty of this too, the seeming insinuation that a given type does not do or experience a possibly distorted human trait occurring in another triad. But we know they do, bc we're all human and unless you're a psychopath or burdened by an acute mental illness, odds are fairly high that everyone is basically 'normal' or human. This E thing talk, we're often glossing over the givens or boilerplate and cutting to the E points that fit the narrative being used or discussed, whether by efficiency or ignorance.

On that note, if the absolute desire is pure accuracy of intent, it would probably be more helpful to frame those ideas in terms of 'the emotions 5's feel". Or as a '8-9-1' possessing an abundance of lust and a dullness of fear. Or 4's generally lacking happiness and possessing type-specific fears, or in my case, irregular thinking lacking concision. I mean, I know things and I feel things, but I'm bot the best at organizing them. This is all real language and worthwhile, as opposed to complex E-codes and jargon acting as a replacements or surrogates that so many fall back on. The jargon however, in my view, enables the entry into discussion while not requiring a full language of the types. It would be helpful if we all spoke clear and plainly, using normal language to obtain whatever nuance needed to accurate say/ascribe whatever we're trying to say/ascribe.

Comment

Regardig the thread's title:

Yeah, all types deal with emotions, but I also agree with Full_fathom in that most people probably don't really think the gut types have some kind of oligopoly on anger and that only heart types really deal with emotions.

Regarding the contents of the OP:

It's generally not been my experience that people see the gut triad as unemotional. It's called the anger triad after all and anger, of course, is an emotion. To my knowledge, when most people think of 1s and 8s 'unemotional' isn't exactly the first word that pops up in their minds. I could see unemotional working for type 9 perhaps, as a nine who has sunk deep down can really seem very unemotional.

Things like joy, fear and anger aren't moods; they are emotions, an important yet tricky distinction. Emotions are direct reactions to external events, their temporal span is short. Moods are a psychological state and they last longer. They often get sparked and influenced by emotion, but sometimes they can be influenced more by cognition. Each type's core fears and beliefs spark different reactions and mechanisms with which we react to our emotions. I think 'mood' can be incredibly variable within an individual person, let alone if we compare multiple people of the same type. The moods depend on how a person interprets a situation, their beliefs and the environment in which they exist in.

Of course people of the same type share similar defense mechanisms and can often react and have moods that are highly similar to those of the same type. Even if we're talking about the same type, I still think it is important to realize that maturity, the environment and an individual person's experiences, beliefs and even their culture play a big role in what kinds of moods a person gets into. Some 8s might not even care if you disrespect them, you (general you) might not even matter to them at all. 9s might just be very saddened by it. However, if a close friend seriously disrespects an 8 it might actually make them sad or disappointed. Sometimes disrespect could be seen as justified by any of the gut triad types.

Continuing the conversation about moods: I think I am naturally much more prone to getting into moods where I feel anxious, small and insignificant, than I am prone to feeling angry. I might have the strongest connection and relationship with that emotion, but that might hardly be apparent in what moods I experience. Some nines might experience more of a dullness rather than anxiety, some might more clearly experience their anger and more often in their moods than I do. I think my point is, in the end, that while moods have relation to type, there are a lot of other confounding influences you need to account for that can obscure your view, like upbringing, environment, etc, etc.
        Last edited by Vive; 07-31-2020, 07:54 PM.
        "Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
        Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
        X