Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differentiating between type 1 and type 6

E1 vs E6

I was just thinking about what distinguishes type 1 anxiety and fear from type 6 anxiety and fear and about some other tricky distinctions between the types. Both types share a skeptical and critical mindset. Both types are heavily influenced by the super ego and both want to have a lot of control over themselves. Type 1 fears and anxieties, seem less externally based. Less connected to an authority (be it a system or a person) and more internally grounded. Type 1 has no problem going against the grain if things rub their moral code or ideas the wrong way, while six seems to have a much more charged relationship in relation to authority and also regarding trust. Type one doesn't seem to have many issues with trust, if anything, perhaps they might expect a bit too much and hold others (and themselves) to a standard that isn't realistic.

Trust in type sixes is more fragile, they naturally seem more skeptical and often questions whether someone will put their actions where their mouth is. Some sixes air these concerns immediately and others stay warm and nice, but they still keep their distance and they still remain very vigilant of any potential missteps. Ones might be critical, but they are not waiting for you to slip up

For type ones, their relationship with anger and their own feelings seems more charged and strained. Sixes may not want to express themselves out of fear, just like ones can be shy and afraid they will express themselves poorly or that they make a bad mistake in front of others. Sixes do however have a sense of their own feelings, they are a reactive type, thoughts spill out of them, worries can be come clear, they might get angry, but that anger most likely subsides as quickly as it came. Type 6 needs to (and eventually definitely will) get things of their chest, talk out their fears, this helps them relieve some of the stress they carry inside. Some sixes might live in their head so much they don't realize how much fear they have nor how hypervigilant they are, but it shows in their body language and in their words.

Type ones have more issues with expression. If they feel it is okay to express themselves, they can show anger and emotion without restraint, but at many points the expression is blocked, as they often feel a particular emotion is not appropriate, a certain thought is not okay and think that the need to maintain proper control of themselves lest the unwanted feelings and thoughts come to fruition. A lot of pressure is kept inside. Feelings they don't think are okay sometimes don't even surface or become apparent to them, because they try so hard to do something else, think something else and correct their behavior. The anger type ones have seems to linger, seems to be more continuous, after a release of this anger, it is not gone, the frustration with themselves or the world around them still remains. Type one is thus in a sense more repressed, obstructed in it's flow.

There seems to be less doubt in the character that is type one, yet both type six and type one seem to often be relentless self-critics (and just as often also relentless critics of others). Both are afraid of slipping up, failing and making a mistake. Sixes are worried something might go wrong, not trusting themselves or the world around them and some sixes trust neither. type ones feel things will feel bad if they make a mistake or don't uphold themselves morally according to their own standards, which also causes them a great deal of anxiety and stress as they make sure that they are constantly aligned with these standards.

What do you all think? Is what I've described accurate?
    "Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
    Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

Vive, this is great. It speaks to so much of my interpersonal history, having a next-to-last on/off (go figure) 6 gf for some time, and now a 1 gf for a couple years.

I totally agree with you, both these types share a type of anxiety that seemingly overlaps. The superego, yada yada. Let's call it a given. They both totally do it!

The part that strikes me, where maybe 6 fear/anxiety ends up doing reaction (movement), and 1 fear/anxiety does internal sitting still.... is where I'm able to differentiate.

The type 1 really does have issues with expression, sorta like the drama of having a line to 4. It's held in. This is internal/external? It seems like both, but the recurring theme is the inability to exist. Exist... I'm the one who has to say 'I love you', first. I don't mean that in an Sp way.... the existential. The frustration of existence within the non-ideal. Backdrop: this particular person is trying to deal with an international divorce atm. He's a snake, there's an ocean.... it results in the high anxiety that causes a person to go 'instinct' and sit still. Their inertia. I say meet this battle, please.

The 6 ex-gf. Advertises low drama, super-smoky Elvira-esque, straight shot... The cool hand, to offset the anxiety. But there it is! Surely this is the type to ask in song.. 'i wanna know love is..... i want you to show me"....

Over and over, framed within the reaction of having a relationship with someone, anyone. omg. Where the current gf sits still, the former went offensive. Projecting desires to possess the other. That's head space material, crazy-ass thoughts that border on conspiracy. It shouldn't be a surprise, having some rocker type dude stalking her already. I just thought you were a sexy-ass woman that I wanted to be with. (excuse me!) We can talk about me later. My point here is that no matter what i did, or how given i was... everything was suspected as control. I'm a bad person! (no comment). We can argue about my poor judgement later.

But really, 1 does feel over-whelmed with control, er, the act of asserting it. They are already over-self-controlled, as gut meets emotion, as no other gut meets emotion. 9 floats off into whatever, 8 wants to own it, as the anxiety begins to go head-space.

The 6, her's was an image line, meets emotion. The thoughts were emotional and threatening, and it was the weak area. Intimacy on the surface only, from my perspective. She said herself "i suck in bed". Well, no tall poppies here, you've covered all your bases, responsibilities ended! There's nothing left to try.

Mind you, the 1 is no better, she just doesn't say she sucks. But the potential is far greater and we get along swimmingly, we have an equality (intimacy?). I actually have to lead everything with her, she's slower than me! Where the 6 was translation lost, absent any trust.

I can't tell you how happy I am to get past that 6. She was a muse for sure, but she really 'fucked my shit up', as the expression goes. This is the person that caused me to become aware of a 'drama triangle', which sorta speaks to the 6 gestalt and the habit of having a buddy and prosecutor, it's the cards of 6, I wasn't meant for any of them. I'm my own guy
    Last edited by Full_fathom; 10-14-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      This post is great
      I think your understanding of 9 is falling behind the others. 9 is as gutty as the rest - it does not "float off." You may be mistyping 5s, 6s, 2s, 7s and 3s as 9s. There's not much floating in the land of the gut. 9s are just as angry and gutty as the other two, but they hold back. Once you get close to a 9 and they stop holding back, you'll see a whirl of fury, and it can be super sexy. Their first instinct is to hold back because that's how the 9 responds to anger and justice - the issues of the gut triad. 8s over-assert their energy and take up too much space, 1s try to take up just the right perfect space, and 9s are insecure about taking up space. But there's no waffly floating involved. Ask a 9 what they feel- they will know. Sensuality runs high here.

• Full_fathom
      Full_fathom commented
      Editing a comment
      Well....... never said 9 wasn't gutty. The subject was dealing with emotion. In that context, I was saying that e1 was the one gut that understands what I do. Me saying 'floats off' is my way of saying I don't think it registers or that it comes off as self-importance.
      Last edited by Full_fathom; 10-17-2020, 06:08 AM.

The type 1 really does have issues with expression, sorta like the drama of having a line to 4. It's held in. This is internal/external? It seems like both, but the recurring theme is the inability to exist. Exist... I'm the one who has to say 'I love you', first. I don't mean that in an Sp way.... the existential. The frustration of existence within the non-ideal. Backdrop: this particular person is trying to deal with an international divorce atm. He's a snake, there's an ocean.... it results in the high anxiety that causes a person to go 'instinct' and sit still. Their inertia. I say meet this battle, please.
    Ah, yeah, the sitting still.. I can definitely sit still and stew and boil for a long while, until I either implode or explode. I know more ways to let of the steam these days, but I still have a problem in allowing myself to just be.. I tend to slide towards the extremes: either I exert a lot of control and have a tight leash on myself or I let everything flow, let go of almost all discipline and find a way to recuperate, until I start feeling that pressure again and the cycle begins.

Luckily I have learned how to find more of a middle ground. I'm in a period of less discipline and a little more procrastination, but things are going better, I'm not as exhausted nor do I tend to feel highly-pressurized.

It makes me think about how sixes often can't let themselves or others just be either, but they blow of far more steam, with much greater ease, so it is a bit different and does result in somewhat different behavior.
    "Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
    Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
    X