What Anxiety in 5s/5 fixers really looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Anxiety in 5s/5 fixers really looks like

This is something I've been turning around in my head for awhile now, because most people who know me will tell you I have a very heavy 5 influence (many still think it's my core), but...I don't feel a lot of anxiety in the active sense. 5 is in the head triad, and, like all head types, has primary neuroses around fear; however, imo, most of the literature doesn't do a good job of explaining this. most talk about anxiety comes at it from the angle of a 6 component. traits like
    - apprehension
    - fear of rejection
    - catastrophizing
    - anxious self-criticism (though this can easily be 1s, 9s or 3s as well)
    - volatile fight/flight response
    - paranoia
    5s without a strong 6 wing (and even many with a 6 wing) will probably not relate to most of these traits. in fact, 5s tend to score relatively low on neuroticism, because their inward focus and relatively under-social demeanor mean they're actually less anxious about most things than most types even outside of the head triad.

for 5s, fear manifests itself not in the realm of being, but of doing. 5's biggest fears revolve around essentially being thrown to the wolves. being expected to perform when they don't have a solid grasp of the material, in-the-moment crises which can result in physical harm, having to take massive action to meet a rapid succession of deadlines. indeed, this feeling of being overwhelmed is what they come to associate the real world with. it's why they're the type who, even more than 8s and 4s, defines themselves by separation with reality.

if you want a relatively pathetic example (pathetic responses to fear are definitely not exclusively 6): I tried to learn to drive stick shift for like 2 hours and never managed to get it, so I basically went home and cried and have never tried again since. 99 % of the time, I have fairly solid composure, but throw me into a fast-paced environment where I don't have the skills to perform correctly or the experience to know what's going on, and I'll probably just freeze and go off in a corner somewhere covering my face.

Comment

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I love this thread, will comment soon.

edit: wow my very first comment is a complete mistake.

hash tag mood.
    Last edited by hiddenglass; 12-27-2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• BalalaikaBoy
      BalalaikaBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      lmao no worries. I'm sure I've done worse

For me, I think it shows up primarily as preparedness. I don't actively "fear" much. I don't anxiously anticipate things. But I do anticipate things, and prepare for them.

To use a relatively silly example, I've been teased about having "everything but the kitchen sink" in my diaper bag or purse. I have, like, band-aids and scissors and nail clippers and small snacks and clean underwear for the preschooler, and a deck of cards, etc. So it's not "gas masks and bomb shelters" kind of preparedness, but I've automatically thought through all the things I might encounter during, say, a long day of errands, and am prepared for all of those things.

And then that means I don't have to worry about "what if the 3-year-old pees in the supermarket?" or "what if my fingernail breaks and is catching on everything?" because I've already taken care of all those eventualities.
    Rachel

Comment

• Eclipsed
      Eclipsed commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds very similar to what I do, actually.

• Eclipsed
      Eclipsed commented
      Editing a comment
      The difference though, being that I often get "attached" to having certain items with me(inessentials, like headphones for music, certain substances), because without them it will throw off my feeling of homeostasis, give me mild anxiety, and almost ruin my day if I let it. So though I am 5 fixed I don't think my day-to-day mundane experience of anxiety is particularly related to that fix.
      Last edited by Eclipsed; 03-11-2020, 08:01 PM.

Sayings like "knowledge is power" and "forewarned is forearmed" and the scouts' "be prepared" feel very 5-ish to me.
    Rachel

Comment

Working...
    X