Sx is not about being "edgy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sx is not about being "edgy"

Sx aesthetic is about looking hot (what is considered hot will vary, but the motivation is the same), getting attention, cultivating allure and being striking to polarize people in a hate me/love me way. "edgy" is a Social motivation, specifically a broadcasting of "I go against the grain", "social norms don't constrain me", "fuck your standards!". it's like the counter-phobic equivalent of social, but it's still social, and probably shows up more in Sp-lasts.

in contrast, Sx/Sp is bold and intense, but it's also subtle, siren-like, more interested in being pleasing to the eye than making a statement.

Yes! There are different reasons to be edgy or intense - but I hate the association of Sx with edginess and intensity. Some Sx leads are edgy and some are intense, but this is not necessitated by the instinct itself.

Some of the links on Daeva 's instinct thread suggested that Sp is the aggressive instinct. "Get what's mine." Being edgy - as in 'punk' - or part of some anti/pro movement, is socially motivated. Sx wants to attract highly specific audiences, and to be sexually attractive.

Also , some types will be more likely than others to be edgy, such as 4, 6 or 8 being present in the tritype, or any combination of two of them, let alone all three. Reactivity will always have some 'push' to it.

I'd say if there's one type who takes the cake for the word 'edgy,' it's six. But of course, it depends how and why. There are sixes like Joe Rogan who look like normal guys but may push the envelope with ideas and questioning norms.
    Last edited by Animal; 02-10-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops BalalaikaBoy I had to edit a little , I meant Sp is the most aggressive * I used the wrong word

Animal
    I should probably add that edginess is typically a trait of immature Social doms/strong second. Mature Soc doms tend to be graceful, less angsty and have a better sense of their place in the world (this is important for everyone, but especially for Social doms. it's kinda the core of their neuroses)

Comment

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it also depends on the tritype, the person's specific taste etc. But yes. Edginess can also be done in a mature and effective way.

• BalalaikaBoy
      BalalaikaBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      side note: I don't disagree, but it's also important to remember that tastes are partially a function of maturity. One of the reasons why snobbery is a thing is that what people appreciate or notice about a given piece (could be clothing, painting, music, whatever people want to be snobs about) can tell us a lot about their values, their intellect, their maturity and other factors that go beyond purely serendipitous preferences. this is why it's typically associated with 4s rather than the competency/achievement-based elitism of 3s.
Working...
X