School should teach Basic Life Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School should teach Basic Life Skills

I've written some posts on facebook explaining my belief that schools should teach us basic life skills - like how to cook, manage finances, fix our tires, make a resume, become employable. People protested: "school was always for the intellect! You learn life skills from family!" However, with the nuclear family model and two parents working, this is no longer the case. In different times, most people worked and learned trades from childhood. Only the intellectual elite went to school. Now that EVERYONE MUST spend their day at school by law, we have a RESPONSIBILITY toward citizens - let alone, poor "ghetto" communities - to teach them basic life skills. From a young age, people should be taught good eating habits, good manners, cleaning procedures, basic psychology designed to identify and overcome trauma and mental illness, how to maintain mental and physical health, finances etc. This is most pressing in communities where both parents are forced to work, fathers are often absent, and violence is the norm.

Unless we're ready to admit that forcing everyone to waste their life in school isn't doing any good for the people who need it most, we need to change the framework of school. As it stands now, we force everyone to learn useless rote memorization, and then force companies to hire minorities through affirmative action. Still, there is no way to force people to hire those who are unequipped for the job. Since we have lumped Haitians, Jamaicans, Africans, Americans and so forth into this big group we call "black people," for example, a company can just as easily hire rich, educated black people or well-educated immigrants from other countries. This does not help the ghetto populations who arose from the abuses of slavery and suffered generational trauma. So without getting into all the other potential merits and demerits of affirmative action, this is enough to take pause.

Instead of controlling who companies hire based on social groupings instead of merit, we should work to make the poor employable. It all starts with education, but not the type of education we are giving now. If someone doesn't know how to eat right, their brains won't work to maximum capacity. In some of these areas there is no access to decent food - this needs to change too, and could be provided in schools. There is so much that education COULD do for people who really need it in order to evolve beyond an impossible situation. Then, intellectual focus could go back to being a 'specialization.'
    Last edited by Animal; 11-13-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

"Distress, whether psychic, physical, or intellectual, need not at all produce nihilism.
      Such distress always permits a variety of interpretations."

Nietzsche

Comment

• SpiritoftheGael
        SpiritoftheGael commented
        Editing a comment
        is there any chance to move out of a level? Like a kid might just be lazy and end up in HAVO vs VWO. Is there any chance for them to move up? That'd be my biggest problem with the system if there isn't room to move upward. Some kids are just late bloomers and then they wouldn't ever have the chance to go to university?

• Vive
        Vive commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, if your grades are good enough you can move up a level. Moving from one level to the level above is possible in the first three years, without any study delays. It's possible to do HAVO after you did VMBO-TL and VWO after you have done HAVO. Of course you can also go down in the levels and if you keep screwing up you could go from VWO all the way to VMBO-TL.

I got the score MAVO-HAVO on my aptitude test, thanks to my teacher and my insistence that I should definitely go to HAVO, I was able to enter the middlebare school in a mixed HAVO-VWO class. My grades were high enough, so I could move on to VWO. Even though my aptitude test pointed to VMBO-TL/HAVO I felt like I breezed through VWO for the most part. So I was very glad that there was 'upwards mobility' so to speak.
    Working...
    X