Clothing Trends & Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothing Trends & Culture

Discuss clothing trends and culture. What do you think trends say about specific cultures? Gender, and how it is addressed through clothing 'expectations,' is also important for this discussion. Feel free to bring up any culture, any time period, any example - and discuss this from any angle.

Comment

• Melancholia
      Melancholia commented
      Editing a comment
      I love all of this.

Animal beautiful and not painful tbh I don't even wear makeup to job interviews and nobody seems to care. Of course I am in computer science which is its own thing, but maybe things are shifting.Click image for larger version

Name:	clothes.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2378
    The day is done, and the darkness

Falls from the wings of Night,

As a feather is wafted downward

From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village

Gleam through the rain and the mist,

And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me

That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,

That is not akin to pain,

And resembles sorrow only

As the mist resembles the rain.

Comment

Comment

• Animal
        Animal commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL at the name. "Sissy pants." ;D

• ledyanoy
        ledyanoy commented
        Editing a comment
        My first reaction was more like ? but then I also had the visual.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Animal This has been frustrated me so much at the old places I used to work, sushi bar and a restaurant. Now, I'm really in love with eye make up, eye shadow, eye liner and mascara, but I absolutely hate foundation, and I'm not a huge fan of lipstick either, i wear it pretty rarely. At the sushi bar I was told both by the manager and the owner that I am expected to wear make up, and they insisted on lipstick. It wasn't hard for me because light make up was enough for them and I would have wore it anyway cause I like it, and I was like whatever, I didn't think much of it then. But at my second job at a restaurant, there was this client who was a friend of the owners and used to come by very often, and one day I really didn't feel like putting any fucking make up on at all because I remember I was feeling kind of sick and my eyes were stinging etc. And this fucking dumbass thought it was his place to comment on that and tell me basically not to forget next time. I was burning inside lol. The owner commented on that too a few days after, she was like ''see, you look a lot better with make up on, yesterday you looked sick.'' BITCH I WAS SICK.

I mean I get it, aesthetics are important when it comes to some jobs but people are not robots, and as long as they look fucking decent and clean, but don't feel like dolling themselves up occasionally, just give them a fucking break. And don't get me started on foundation, I fucking hate that shit, I hate covering my skin like that. First off, I DON'T want my skin to look flawless, like a doll's. I want my small mole on my cheek to show and I want my face to look REAL. I'm obsessed with natural face masks and I try to always drink at least 3 litters of water a day and eat as healthy as I can so that my skin looks healthy, and that is enough for me.
            Turning pain into power.

Comment

• RALA
              RALA commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's so bad for your skin. My sister wears it and she sometimes complains about more and more acne on her face and tells me she HAS to wear it, and I'm like, what do you think causes more and more acne? The foundation definitely makes it worse if you already have it too.

• Animal
              Animal commented
              Editing a comment
              It's definitely a vicious cycle. I was cursed in some ways with my looks but I was blessed when it comes to skin - that I only had acne for a few years in my early teens. When I had shows I would cover up each zit with skin-color in a lipstick shaped applyer, rather than cake it over my whole face. Because I couldn't go on stage under the lights with those huge red zits. So I can understand some people's connundrum. But luckily offstage my skin, even when it wasn't perfect, was good enough to just not wear foundation and not be hideous.

• RALA
              RALA commented
              Editing a comment
              Your skin is amazing!

I would say that if anything, most women's clothing these days is boring and practical and not very 'feminine'.
            I am always looking for pieces I can fall in love with and feel like I own a little work of art every time I see them in my closet, and that's so rare to find, everything is so shy and minimalistic. And I'm not even looking for anything special, just something more inspired than a basic gray sweater with some trendy detail slapped onto it just for the sake of it.

Not to mention all of those 'ugly' trends every store is filled with, big, chunky shoes, everything oversized and bulky, muddy colors that are unflattering on many skintones and cuts that perpetuate poor posture and sloppiness.
            Thank goodness I'm suggestible so with time I learned to find some of it cute in its ugliness
            But still part of me hates that I'm so used to walking around basically dressed in blankets with slippers that call themselves boots on my feet.
            It's all the opposite of what used to be seen as beautiful and feminine.

Comment

Working...
            X