Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Psychology of Inequality

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...jGTpTw3RU7Z6yw

tbh, I'm only really interested in inequality insofar that people want to do something to advance themselves. I'm a fairly sympathetic ear when people talk about things they're struggling to overcome, but when people have no desire to take matters into their own hands, I kinda just think "no, I don't feel sorry for you...". I judge this on a case-by-case basis though. If you were to ask me how many people are poor because of circumstances vs because of character flaws, I wouldn't have an answer for you, but either way, the "subjective experience of being poor" doesn't exactly garner much sympathy from me. I'd like to think the reasons why it sucks to be poor are a little more tangible than that.

Comment

Atelier I think that is only true for people living around a lot of rich people. I think cities like LA are case in point for having the psychological feeling of being poor. I've lived my entire life in a very poor state i.e. very few rich people. You just won't come across them like ever or really see much of that culture and I can't remember ever suffering from the state of 'poorness'. There was nothing really to compare to if you get what I mean. And most people here seem to be like that. They don't know anything else really. It's just life. Of course big cities like LA also have much bigger problems in that a stable person could still end up living out of their car, which also isn't something that really happens here either.
      The day is done, and the darkness

Falls from the wings of Night,

As a feather is wafted downward

From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village

Gleam through the rain and the mist,

And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me

That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,

That is not akin to pain,

And resembles sorrow only

As the mist resembles the rain.

Comment

• Mahat
        Mahat commented
        Editing a comment

Atelier I do think the worst repercussion that the poor in the US have is they can't afford health care. This includes the middle class who mostly have insurance. For the most part I'd say I had a "well off" child hood with internet and computers etc. But what sets my childhood apart from richer people was that my parents absolutely could not afford their insurance. My dad has had insurance my entire life and we could barely ever use it, so we couldn't afford physical therapy and chiropractic appts to fix my back. We couldn't afford braces to fix my teeth. My teeth are still jacked, and it probably makes me stand out as having grown up poor. I don't usually think about those things, but little things like that can make a tiny difference in job interviews that nobody would even think about consciously.
      The day is done, and the darkness

Falls from the wings of Night,

As a feather is wafted downward

From an eagle in his flight.

I see the lights of the village

Gleam through the rain and the mist,

And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me

That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,

That is not akin to pain,

And resembles sorrow only

As the mist resembles the rain.