Free Speech - a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Speech - a thing of the past?

Wrongspeak and Wrongthink are not only socially dangerous (against oneself, one's livelihood and one's family), but now, are becoming illegal, bit by bit. We are on a fast track to thought control and loss of free speech.

Here's an example I just saw today. Blaire White rose up as a star on youtube by accident. She posted one 'venting' video about politics and her frustrations with "PC" culture enforced by the left, which were actually very similar views to mine in nature. Like me, she is 'socially liberal' but fiscally conservative. Her video blew up and became popular, so then she started a youtube channel and became increasingly famous.

But now, she has given up on political commentary for a while, because her life became dangerous. People showed up at her house and posted her address, harassed her family, friends and coworkers, went into her house, caused problems for her with the FBI, start fights with her everywhere she goes, etc. I'll post the video in case you want to see it. I know some of you don't watch long videos, but I wanted you to know that the fascism is real. This same thing happened to Milo Yiannopolous. He not only got banned from facebook and twitter, but also couldn't go anywhere without him and his loved ones being harassed. It's actually dangerous to disagree with the left in public -- even for someone as reasonable and well spoken as Blaire.

For people like me and Milo, it may be easy to say, "They're frenetic, too extreme, over the top," because of our talking style - and you may roll your eyes at my complaints because you think I dig my own grave. (Granted, there are many things Milo says that are way more over the top than me, and that I disagree with.) . But Blaire is very reasonable. She's organized. She's also transgender and should not be victimized by the LGBTQ community simply for disagreeing on a few things. This is insane. It's also noteworthy that both Blaire White and Caitlyn Jenner claimed that it was harder to come out as conservative than it was to come out as trans, when it came to social acceptance.

So now we have someone like Blaire who is making good points, and she is not posting political content because they have worn her down and silenced her. Milo was pushed out of the fray.. and where is he now? Is there anyone who is allowed to think for themselves, question the norms and share their own opinion publicly? And if not, what will happen to our society?

On top of that, we are all being surveilled. Anyone can dig up our address and other key information online, some for free, and more for a small fee. Some colleges are tracking students' location through apps on their cell phones. In NY, all companies have to give their employees a tutorial about what they are and aren't allowed to say, and the things you aren't allowed to say include 'misgendering' someone (even by accident), complimenting a woman's looks, or asking her out twice. If you do these things you can lose your job, and this is backed by law. Isn't that going too far?

Can anyone convince me we are not on a fast track toward 1984 style "big government control" and loss of free speech? It seems people are very quick to jump on "attack trains" so even if free speech is technically still legal, you can't really speak as a dissenting opinion against the radical leftist views. It doesn't matter that these views happen to be leftist or right or whatever -- that's beyond the point. The point is that a point of view that was once considered 'radical' has now taken over much of the media, and many people are pushing the rest of us to be a monolith and agree with it, without questioning anything. If it's too dangerous to speak because YOUR FAMILY GETS ATTACKED, how is this different from NK, essentially? I mean, I know it's a lot worse in NK, I've seen the documentaries, but we are laying similar groundwork where "wrongthink" and "wrongspeak" is being punished socially, and now there are official rules about it too. This is getting worse and worse - so where do you think it will lead?

On a personal note, I've posted a lot of political commentary lately - but this is my bottom line issue. I will die before being forced to assimilate, and I don't say that lightly, as I have fought hard for my life. You may think "why is this chronically ill shrimp who can barely work or breathe talking about fighting a war?" To put it simply, I am much more dangerous when I have nothing left to lose. And there are many thousands of others (many of whom own guns) who would rather go down in flames defending free speech than be forced into a monolith. It's no coincidence that the radicals are pushing to take our guns away. As long as we have those, they can't silence all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Jayne Goldsmith
      I think this divide has been propagated by the media
      I agree with this on the whole, but I can assure you that my position has NOT been propagated by the media. My position comes from real life experience, abuse, and personal philosophy. I've been on the receiving end of policy, as we all have. I'm too experienced in ways I wish I wasn't, and I'm underexposed to media, especially of the mainstream variety. So, while I do agree that the media is propagating a divide (at least it seems that way from what I can tell), my opinion is my own, my observation, my experience, my thoughts on things that actually have happened, and how I put together the reasons for it. That will not change no matter what the media says or does. The only thing that will change it is if I'm allowed to state a reasonable divergent opinion to New Yorkers without being abused and insulted. Of course, I appreciate the people such as yourself who don't do this, very very much - and the fact that it takes SO MUCH COURAGE for anyone to publicly explore the view of the other side is scary in and of itself......
      ....but the horde is still very loud, and very mean. Until I no longer experience this, and see others experiencing it all the time, my view that free speech is dwindling mostly due to radical leftist horde politics, will remain.

Edit:
      I do think the media caused this to happen in the first place (and education), but now it's happened, and the people doing it exist.
      Last edited by Animal; 12-30-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Animal
        Animal commented
        Editing a comment
        But I'm not here to argue about whether Obama "is" a capitalist, a leftist, a radical or a conservative. Ideological labels are more in the topic of "philosophy." I used the labels that people commonly use in dialogue, and that are closest to the roots of this ideology as I see it. How's this - you pick the name. What's the name for a small group of elites controlling everyone else by taking guns away, controlling health care and controlling education? Whatever name you want to give that, I'm game. But that's what I'm talking about.

• Animal
        Animal commented
        Editing a comment
        I mean, do you see Sanders as a capitalist or a communist? Is it capitalist if no one actually owns their property since everyone has to pay taxes to the government on property they already bought? This could go on forever...... point is, we don't own it.....

• Animal
        Animal commented
        Editing a comment
        In my original post I even clarified that it doesn't matter if it's genuinely "left" views or not, but it's the faction that calls itself the left, so really, I don't know what else to call it. I'm happy to come up with a name that you think is accurate and use it. Really.

Robin Jayne Goldsmith My problem is that the "democratic institution" has extended its reach. By now, they have secured the vote of left-leaning citizens, which allows them to remain in power.

Liberals are moving out of NY and California because the Democratic Politicians they voted for have ruined the economy in their states. Instead of lying in the bed they made, or perhaps protesting to hold the Democratic politicians accountable, they move to Red states. They prefer the prices, economy, 'real men' etc - but when they get there, they vote for leftist politicians.

At this rate, they are going to take over the whole country. I mean, how smart is it to move away from areas where the policy isn't working and just vote in more people that will implement those same policies? Basically the blue states didn't work out for them, so they leave and bring their prejudices with them.

Soon there will be no red states left at all. This is a serious economic and moral issue for people who vote red and live in red states. And once the incoming liberal citizens infiltrate all the major red states, then democratic politicians will fill the elected seats throughout the whole country... and there will be no opposition remaining in power. The Democrats' policy will be forced upon us all.

Obviously, if the Democratic institution weren't such a mess, then liberal citizens would not be pushed out of their cities by way of the economic and social crises there. But they have been taught to believe that still, voting in more Democrats is their best bet. Voting for Republicans is not an option to them, and the people living in the states they're moving to are just stupid uneducated "deplorables" anyway, who don't know what's good for them. The Democratic oppressors taught this to the leftist citizens, and thus the Ever-Expanding Party of Democratic oppressors will reign - and the leftist citizens will choose it willingly.
      Last edited by Animal; 01-04-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X