The Left and the Right As Parental Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Left and the Right As Parental Figures

I would first like to thank Roshan for mentioning the the concept to me. She also told me that it was Jordan Peterson was the that really elucidated these principles. I didn’t know that >.< since I’m not too deep into his work.

Oftentimes people prefer to perceive things in dichotomies and dualities since that is the easiest way to conceive of things. Good and evil. Heaven and Hell. Yin and Yang. Dichotomies are extremely helpful because they seamlessly follow the rule of non-contradiction: If A precludes B, then A can’t be A and B at the same time. Dualities are usually conceived and resolved through dialectically in a way that synthesizes them together. When it comes to conceiving the Right/Left dichotomy in politics, I like to present it through an archetypal lens. Those entrenched in a political ideology tend to perceive a Manichean tension between the two sides - one side (my side) is good and the other side is bad, and it is a matter of overcoming the other. However I would like to present a more dialectical (if I’m using the word correctly) version of the dichotomy.

The Left and Right are governed by the Mother and Father principles respectively. And both have two iterations. For the Right, there’s the strict, rule-bound, traditional, very left-brained father. In enneagram this would correlate to type 1. The other side is the more chauvinistic, excessive, might makes right father. This correlates to type 8. Both usually co-exist and weave into each other. Both keep order within and maintain the “status quo.” The high side of the Father includes a respect for tradition and historicity, a nobility in strength, and the upholding of time-tested standards that keeps society (the family) running. In its extreme forms it’s the total denial and destruction of the anima, or the feminine principle within the self, and this gives way to rigidity, extreme conservatism to the point it halts progress and growth, and oppression, mainly the oppression of the weak and disenfranchised whom often are characterized as the Other, just like how the anima when not integrated is casted away as the Other.

The Left on the other hand is governed by the Mother. On the one hand it’s nurturing, more egalitarian, and receptive to the disenfranchised. But that side has the potential to be too smothering and coddling to “her children” while being extremely strident against those who she perceives as doing harm to her children. Which segues into the next iteration. The Kali. The Kali removes the veil of Maya in regards to the Grand Narratives that have been systematically indoctrinated into us. She reveals the ways in which systematic abuse and certain lines of thought have distorted our way of being. Marx, Foucault, and Freire just to name a few are manifestations in which Kali reveals to us the ways in which certain relations of power have stripped away and alienated us from our humanity, and the ways in which we can regain our power back. She's also devouring and militant. She can be the great protector against the father who at times can be abusive and oppressive but it’s when she wants to devour the Father is when she’s dangerous to both her enemies and her children. This is when the oppressed internalizes the values of the oppressors become the oppressors when the fight for liberation isn’t tempered by the humanistic goal to both liberate the oppressed and the oppressors. If one devours the other, then there can be no buffers and checks and balances. Both become oppressively authoritarian.
    Last edited by Mahat; 06-03-2020, 05:11 PM.
    https://www.pinterest.com/AtelierMahat/
Working...
X