Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to your Enneagram Type: What did you Learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to your Enneagram Type: What did you Learn?

In enneagram circles, there is often a process of refining and revisiting one's type. Have you gone through this process and made a new discovery about your typing? If so, what did you learn - about yourself, about enneagram, about others? I'd love to discuss typing changes and how they affected you personally, or how they influenced your overall understanding of the system. Feel free to discuss this process from any angle, be it personal or intellectual. And feel free to focus on the most profound or surprising discoveries, rather than feeling obligated to discuss all typing changes.
    Last edited by Animal; 05-25-2021, 08:23 AM.

Hm, so I've typed various ways over the years and always really come back to 2 and I don't know if I've learned anything about myself in this process but I think about the various types, it's easier to understand things by identifying with them (heart type learning style? )

I did at the very very beginning immediately type as 1 because it described my ideal way of being and fairly quickly came around to the shocking realization that 2 was in fact my type (I tried to be perfect in order to be lovable). Honestly, though, I wish I had gone on mistyping at 1, because - as I am not a hard-ass 1 but actually an indulgent 2 - it's easy to use type as an excuse, if my belief about myself was that I just wanted to be perfect and live up to a great celestial ideal I probably would have lived more like someone who this was true of, realizing that 'being perfect' was a tool and not the core of who I was made it easier to discount it as a tool and I think as a result I let my standards slip...and it led to a lot of fruitless navel-gazing, it's not like realizing I was a 2 really helped me make a lot of progress, although maybe realizing I had a lot of pride I wasn't aware of helped me move past it, not sure how big an issue that even was though.

I often, just in my head, think 'you know what, I think I'm actually an 8!' which is ridiculous if you know me at all but it's certainly always at times of stress and 8 suddenly seems like this amazing perfect fit for my whole personality, I do think that speaks to disintegration theory...))

Comment

• Animal
      Animal commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehe. Of course a 2 would say "I learned much about others but don't know if I've learned anything about myself."
      :P
      (I'm mostly teasing.. *mostly*)

I always had a hard time understanding how someone can find meaning in life lived for others, and Enneagram kinda helped me understand it.

Comment

• Full_fathom
      Full_fathom commented
      Editing a comment
      self-sacrificing is a normal human component among a number of people, It's perfectly fine/ok, so long as you are aware of your needs.

• [redacted]
      [redacted] commented
      Editing a comment
      @La Dame Aux Roses
      Because I typically find meaning in life lived for myself, so I didn't understand how did someone find fulfillment from sacrificing themselves for others.

• [redacted]
      [redacted] commented
      Editing a comment
      as for how enneagram has taught me something new about myself, that's one reason why I have yet to settle on a type, because so far no type seems to tell me anything I don't already know, but there's a missing piece or two which once I figure them out certain things will finally make sense... or at least I like to think it will work that way :P

I expect to continue down this path, ever refining myself and my understanding of things as our sick world continues down its shambolic path.

Comment

• inkreservoir
      inkreservoir commented
      Editing a comment
      I just read your introduction thread and realized you've said before you don't want to disclose this so consider the question retracted!

• Qassim
      Qassim commented
      Editing a comment
      Inkreservoir, we can talk about it via PM if you're curious. Thanks for liking my words which I acknowledge sound quite arrogant here, but I didn't mean them that way.

• inkreservoir
      inkreservoir commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't think it sounded arrogant at all, honestly, but maybe that's because I used to be on PerC a lot and I know what the folks down there can be like. I'll message you!
Working...
X